- 1 Translingual
- 2 Chinese
- 3 Japanese
- 4 Korean
- 5 Vietnamese
- KangXi: page 287, character 13
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 7195
- Dae Jaweon: page 568, character 21
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 938, character 10
- Unihan data for U+5BBF
|simp. and trad.
|Characters in the same phonetic series (宿) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
- “To stay overnight; lodge > night; mansion of the zodiac [i.e. the Sun's lodging stations]”
- Probably related to Austroasiatic: cf. Old Khmer *ruk (“to take cover or shelter”) > Khmer ជ្រុក (cruk, “shelter; refuge”), Khmer ស្រុក (srok, “settlement; village”) (Schuessler, 2007). Benedict (1972) relates it to the Tibeto-Burman terms listed in the etymology of 夜 (, “night”), however the phonetics is difficult to reconcile in the current reconstructions. *laːɡs
- to stay overnight; to lodge
- to reside; to live; to dwell
- lodge; lodging station; residence
- perching bird; resting bird
- to keep watch at night; to be on night duty
- night; nighttime
- Classifier for the number of nights: night
- to be content with
- to stay; to stay behind; to delay; to stop over; to be stationed
- (from) last night; the previous night; overnight
- (from) last year; spanning two years
- the past; former times
- old; longstanding
- big; great; considerable
- old and experienced; skilful; master
- renowned person; someone of high standing
- Alternative form of 夙 (sù, “usually; normally”).
- predestined; preordained
- 宿命 ― sùmìng ― destiny [lit. predestined life]
- in advance; beforehand
- Alternative form of 肅／肃 (sù, “respectful; solemn”).
- Alternative form of 肅／肃 (sù, “to admonish; to warn”).
- Alternative form of 肅／肃 (sù, “to offer”).
- (～國) (historical) The name of an ancient state located in modern-day Dongping county in Shandong province.
- (～州) (historical) The name of an ancient prefecture during the Tang dynasty, located in modern-day Suzhou city in Anhui province.
- (～縣) (historical) The name of an abolished county, now the Suzhou city in Anhui province.
- Short for 宿州 (Sùzhōu, “Suzhou city in Anhui province”).
- A surname.
Derived terms from 宿
Derived terms from 宿
- Go-on: しゅ (shu); すく (suku)
- Kan-on: しゅう (shū); しゅく (shuku, Jōyō)
- Kan’yō-on: しゅく (shuku, Jōyō)
- Kun: やどる (yadoru, 宿る, Jōyō); やど (yado, 宿, Jōyō); やどす (yadosu, 宿す, Jōyō)
- 民宿 (minshuku): traditional Japanese budget inn
- 新宿 (Shinjuku): Shinjuku
- 宿題 (shukudai): homework
- 宿命 (shukumei): destiny; fate
- 宿泊 (shukuhaku): lodging
- 野宿 (nojuku): sleeping rough; wild camping
- 安宿 (yasuyado): cheap hotel
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text