From Middle English enducen, borrowed from Latin indūcere, present active infinitive of indūcō (“lead in, bring in, introduce”), from in + dūcō (“lead, conduct”). Compare also abduce, adduce, conduce, deduce, produce, reduce etc. Doublet of endue.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪnˈduːs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪnˈdjuːs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -uːs
- (transitive) To lead by persuasion or influence; incite or prevail upon.
- 1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 4, in The Celebrity:
- The Celebrity, by arts unknown, induced Mrs. Judge Short and two other ladies to call at Mohair on an afternoon when Mr. Cooke was trying a trotter on the track. The three returned wondering and charmed with Mrs. Cooke; they were sure she had had no hand in the furnishing of that atrocious house.
- (transitive) To cause, bring about, lead to.
- 2012 May 20, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Marge Gets A Job” (season 4, episode 7; originally aired 11/05/1992)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- A mere glance at the plot descriptions of the show’s fourth season is enough to induce Pavlovian giggle fits and shivers of joy.
- His meditation induced a compromise. Opium induces sleep.
- (physics) To cause or produce (electric current or a magnetic state) by a physical process of induction.
- (transitive, logic) To infer by induction.
- (transitive, obsolete) To lead in, bring in, introduce.
- (transitive, obsolete) To draw on, place upon. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (lead by persuasion or influence): entice, inveigle, put someone up to something
- (to cause): bring about, instigate, prompt, stimulate, trigger, provoke
- (logic): deduce
- induce in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- “induce”, in OED Online , Oxford: Oxford University Press, launched 2000.
- to induce, incite, cause or push to do something
|person||1st person||2nd person||3rd person||1st person||2nd person||3rd person|
|present||să induc||să induci||să inducă||să inducem||să induceți||să inducă|
|negative||nu induce||nu induceți|