See also: pénalty
- pœnalty (archaic)
From Middle French pénalité.
penalty (plural penalties)
- A legal sentence.
- The penalty for his crime was to do hard labor.
- A punishment for violating rules of procedure.
- 1900, Charles W. Chesnutt, “chapter I”, in The House Behind the Cedars:
- Was it so irreconcilable, Warwick wondered, as still to peal out the curfew bell, which at nine o'clock at night had clamorously warned all negroes, slave or free, that it was unlawful for them to be abroad after that hour, under penalty of imprisonment or whipping?
- (finance) A payment forfeited for an early withdrawal from an account or an investment.
- In sports
- (soccer) A direct free kick from the penalty spot, taken after a defensive foul in the penalty box; a penalty kick.
- (ice hockey) A punishment for an infraction of the rules, often in the form of being removed from play for a specified amount of time.
- A penalty was called when he tripped up his opponent.
- A disadvantageous consequence of a previous event.
- 1834, L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], Francesca Carrara. […], volume III, London: Richard Bentley, […], (successor to Henry Colburn), →OCLC, page 126:
- "But you, my noble, my generous girl!" exclaimed Lord Avonleigh, "I dare not let you pay the penalty of my former folly."
- → Gulf Arabic: بلنتي (balanti)
- → Portuguese: pênalti, penálti
- → Spanish: penalti
- → Swahili: penalti
punishment for violating rules of procedure
penalty kick — see penalty kick
punishment in ice hockey
Borrowed from English penalty.
- Hyphenation: pe‧nal‧ty
penalty m (plural penalty's, diminutive penalty'tje n)
Borrowed from English penalty, itself a borrowing from French pénalité (thus a reborrowing). Doublet of pénalité.
penalty m (plural penaltys or penalties)
- “penalty”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
Unadapted borrowing from French penalty or English penalty.
penalty n (plural penalty-uri)
Declension of penalty
|indefinite articulation||definite articulation||indefinite articulation||definite articulation|
|nominative/accusative||(un) penalty||penalty-ul||(niște) penalty-uri||penalty-urile|
|genitive/dative||(unui) penalty||penalty-ului||(unor) penalty-uri||penalty-urilor|