See also: similär
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɪmələ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɪməlɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Having traits or characteristics in common; alike, comparable.
- My new car is similar to my old one, except it has a bit more space in the back.
- 1908, W[illiam] B[lair] M[orton] Ferguson, chapter IV, in Zollenstein, New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, OCLC 731476803:
- So this was my future home, I thought! Certainly it made a brave picture. I had seen similar ones fired-in on many a Heidelberg stein. Backed by towering hills, […] a sky of palest Gobelin flecked with fat, fleecy little clouds, it in truth looked a dear little city; the city of one's dreams.
- 2013 May-June, Charles T. Ambrose, “Alzheimer’s Disease”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 3, page 200:
- Similar studies of rats have employed four different intracranial resorbable, slow sustained release systems—surgical foam, a thermal gel depot, a microcapsule or biodegradable polymer beads.
- (mathematics) Of geometrical figures including triangles, squares, ellipses, arcs and more complex figures, having the same shape but possibly different size, rotational orientation, and position; in particular, having corresponding angles equal and corresponding line segments proportional; such that one can be had from the other using a sequence of rotations, translations and scalings.
- (mathematics, linear algebra) Of two square matrices; being such that a conjugation sends one matrix to the other.
having traits or characteristics in common; alike, comparable
of geometric figures, having the same shape
similar (plural similars)
- That which is similar to, or resembles, something else, as in quality, form, etc.
- (homeopathy) A material that produces an effect that resembles the symptoms of a particular disease.
- “similar” in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- similar in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- (Balearic) IPA(key): /si.miˈla/
- (Central) IPA(key): /si.miˈlar/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /si.miˈlaɾ/
similar (masculine and feminine plural similars)
Declension of similar
similar (plural similares)