- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: tōm, IPA(key): /təʊm/
- Rhymes: -əʊm
- (General American) enPR: tōm, IPA(key): /toʊm/
- Rhymes: -oʊm
tome (plural tomes)
- One in a series of volumes.
- A large or scholarly book.
- 2019 May 19, Alex McLevy, “The final Game Of Thrones brings a pensive but simple meditation about stories (newbies)”, in The A.V. Club:
- And Sam presents Tyrion with A Song Of Ice And Fire, a tome in which Tyrion’s own role, far from that of the clever hero or Machiavellian snake, doesn’t even exist.
one in a series of volumes
large or scholarly book
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
tome m (plural tomes)
tome f (plural tomes)
- A variety of mountain cheese
- “tome” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- Oxford University Press (2016): The Oxford Companion to Cheese
- tome in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- tome in Gaffiot, Félix (1934) Dictionnaire Illustré Latin-Français, Hachette
- First-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of tomar
- Third-person singular (ele, ela, also used with tu and você?) present subjunctive of tomar
- Third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of tomar
- Third-person singular (você) negative imperative of tomar