locus (plural loci)
- A place or locality, especially a centre of activity or the scene of a crime.
- The cafeteria was the locus of activity.
- (mathematics) The set of all points whose coordinates satisfy a given equation or condition.
- A circle is the locus of points from which the distance to the center is a given value, the radius.
- (genetics) A fixed position on a chromosome that may be occupied by one or more genes.
- sometimes confused with locust
place or locality
set of all points given by an equation or condition
position on a chromosome
- place, spot (a specific location)
- a passage of literature
- in the plural with neuter gender: a region or general geographic area
The inflection is irregular. For senses one and two, the declension follows the regular masculine pattern. For sense three, the plural forms become neuter in gender and form.