Ideogrammic compound (會意): 門 (“door”) + 月 (“moon”) – moonlight peeking through a door – interstice; space (original character of 間).
Karlgren (1957) and Baxter (1992) connect this word with 間 (OC *kreːn, “interstice time”).
Alternatively, Pulleyblank (1973) suggests that it is cognate with 暇 (OC *ɡraːs, “to be at leisure”).
Schuessler (2007) considers this unrelated to 間 (OC *kreːn, *kreːns), and instead proposes that this is borrowed from Tai languages, akin to Thai คร้าน (kráan, “lazy; indolent”). 懶 (OC *raːnʔ, “lazy”) may be a colloquial reflex of the same word (ibid.).
- not busy; idle
噇飽恰閒。 [Min Dong, trad.]
噇饱恰闲。 [Min Dong, simp.]
- Chòng bā kák-èng. / [t͡sʰouŋ⁵³ pa³³ kʰaʔ²⁴⁻²¹ ɛiŋ⁵³] [Bàng-uâ-cê / IPA]
- Have nothing else to do. / Don't you have nothing else to do? / Mind your own concerns/business.
- vacant; unoccupied; unused
- leisurely and carefree
- trivial; unimportant
- unrelated to one's proper business; extraneous; belonging to others
- relaxed; peaceful; tranquil; calm
- leisure; spare time; free time
- (gambling) player (instead of banker)
- A surname.
|For pronunciation and definitions of 閒 – see 間 (“among; between; etc.”).|
(This character, 閒, is a variant form of 間.)
閒 • (han, gan) (hangeul 한, 간, revised han, gan, McCune–Reischauer han, kan, Yale han, kan)
- leisure, idle
- peaceful, tranquil, calm
閒: Hán Nôm readings: gian, nhàn, gián
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text