The country's name comes from the name of the mountain range, which in turn comes from Biblical Hebrew לְבָנוֹן (ləḇānôn), from Proto-West Semitic *laban- (“white”) (compare Hebrew לָבָן (lāḇān, “white”), Arabic لَبَن (laban, “milk”)).
- (Received Pronunciation, Ireland, General South African) IPA(key): /ˈlɛbənən/
- (General American, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈlɛbənɑn/, (some towns) /ˈlɛbənən/
- (General Australian, New Zealand) IPA(key): /ˈlɛbənɔn/, /-ɒn/
- A mountain range in the Middle East.
- A country in Western Asia. Official name: Lebanese Republic. Also (especially formerly) known as "the Lebanon".
- 1958, Anthony Burgess, The Enemy in the Blanket (The Malayan Trilogy), published 1972, page 382:
- "He does a trip from Jiddah up to the Lebanon and now he's extending it as far as Marseilles."
- Various places in the United States of America:
- A small unincorporated community in Montezuma County, Colorado.
- A town in New London County, Connecticut.
- A census-designated place in Kent County, Delaware, in full Rising Sun-Lebanon.
- A city in St. Clair County, Illinois.
- A city, the county seat of Boone County, Indiana.
- A small city in Smith County, Kansas.
- A home rule city, the county seat of Marion County, Kentucky.
- A town in York County, Maine.
- A city, the county seat of Laclede County, Missouri.
- A small village in Red Willow County, Nebraska.
- A city in Grafton County, New Hampshire.
- A borough of Hunterdon County, New Jersey.
- A town in Madison County, New York.
- A city, the county seat of Warren County, Ohio.
- A census-designated place and unincorporated community in Marshall County, Oklahoma.
- A city in Linn County, Oregon.
- A city, the county seat of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.
- A small town in Potter County, South Dakota.
- A city, the county seat of Wilson County, Tennessee.
- An unincorporated community in Hardin County, Tennessee.
- A town, the county seat of Russell County, Virginia.
- A town and census-designated place in Dodge County, Wisconsin.
- A town in Waupaca County, Wisconsin.
- A number of townships in the United States, listed under Lebanon Township.
The country is traditionally referred to with the definite article the, though this construction has declined in use.
- (mountain range): Mount Lebanon
- Lebanese Global Information Center
- Countries of the world
- (countries of Asia) country of Asia; Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, East Timor, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
From English Lebanon, from Biblical Hebrew לְבָנוֹן (ləḇānôn), from Proto-West Semitic *laban- (“white”) (Compare Hebrew לָבָן (lāḇān, “white”), Arabic لَبَن (laban, “milk”)).
- IPA(key): (standard, English-influenced) [lɛˈbanɔn], (Dutch-influenced) [liˈbanɔn]
- Hyphenation: Lè‧ba‧non
- A country in Western Asia. Official name: Lebanese Republic.
- (countries of Asia) negara-negara di Asia; Afganistan, Arab Saudi, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Filipina, India, Indonesia, Irak, Iran, Israel, Jepang, Kamboja, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Korea Selatan, Korea Utara, Kuwait, Laos, Libanon, Maladewa, Malaysia, Mesir, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Palestina, Qatar, Rusia, Singapura, Siprus, Sri Lanka, Suriah, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor Leste, Tiongkok, Turki, Turkmenistan, Uni Emirat Arab, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yaman, Yordania
- “Lebanon” in Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia, Jakarta: Language Development and Fostering Agency — Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology of the Republic Indonesia, 2016.