From Late Latin suspensiō, suspensiōnem (“arching, vaulting; suspension”), from suspendēre, from suspendō (“to hang up, to suspend”), from sub- (“prefix meaning ‘under’”) + pendere (from pendō (“to hang, to suspend”), from Proto-Italic *pendō (“to hang, to put in a hanging position”), from Proto-Indo-European *(s)pénd-e-ti, from *(s)pend- (“to pull; to spin”).) Compare Anglo-Norman suspensiun, French suspension, Occitan suspensio.
suspension (plural suspensions)
- The act of suspending, or the state of being suspended.
suspension from a hook
- A temporary or conditional delay, interruption or discontinuation.
suspension from school as a disciplinary measure
- The state of a solid or substance produced when its particles are mixed with, but not dissolved in, a fluid, and are capable of separation by straining.
- The act of keeping a person who is listening in doubt and expectation of what is to follow.
- (education) The process of barring a student from school grounds as a form of punishment.
- (music) The act of or discord produced by prolonging one or more tones of a chord into the chord which follows, thus producing a momentary discord, suspending the concord which the ear expects.
- (topology) A topological space derived from another by taking the product of the original space with an interval and collapsing each end of the product to a point.
- (topology) A function derived, in a standard way, from another, such that the instant function's domain and codomain are suspensions of the original function's.
- (Scots Law) A stay or postponement of the execution of a sentence, usually by letters of suspension granted on application to the Lord Ordinary.
- (vehicles) The system of springs and shock absorbers connected to the wheels in an automobile or car, which allows the vehicle to move smoothly with reduced shock to its occupants.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- suspension on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- suspension (chemistry) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- suspension (music) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- suspension (punishment) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- suspension (topology) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- suspension (vehicle) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia