From Middle English arisen, from Old English ārīsan (“to arise, get up; rise; spring from, originate; spring up, ascend”), from Proto-Germanic *uzrīsaną (“to rise up, arise”), equivalent to a- + rise. Cognate with Scots arise, aryse (“to arise, rise up, come into existence”), Middle Low German errīsen (“to stand up, arise”), Old High German irrīsan (“to rise up, fall”), Gothic 𐌿𐍂𐍂𐌴𐌹𐍃𐌰𐌽 (urreisan, “to arise”).
arise (third-person singular simple present arises, present participle arising, simple past arose, past participle arisen)
- To come up from a lower to a higher position.
- to arise from a kneeling posture
- To come up from one's bed or place of repose; to get up.
- He arose early in the morning.
- To spring up; to come into action, being, or notice; to become operative, sensible, or visible; to begin to act a part; to present itself.
- A cloud arose and covered the sun.
- Bible, Exodus i. 8
- There arose up a new king […] which knew not Joseph.
- the doubts that in his heart arose
- 1961, J. A. Philip, "Mimesis in the Sophistês of Plato," Transactions and Proceedings of the American Philological Association, vol. 92, p. 454,
- Because Plato allowed them to co-exist, the meaning and connotations of the one overlap those of the other, and ambiguities arise.
start to exist, originate
- Arabic: نَهَضَ (nahaḍa)
- Bulgarian: възниквам (vǎznikvam), появявам се (pojavjavam se)
- Mandarin: 起來, 起来 (zh) (qǐlái), 產生 (zh), 产生 (zh) (chǎnshēng)
- Czech: vzniknout (cs)
- Dutch: ontstaan (nl)
- Finnish: syntyä (fi), saada alkunsa
- French: surgir (fr), apparaitre (fr), naitre (fr)
- Georgian: აღმოცენება (aɣmoceneba), წამოჭრა (c̣amoč̣ra)
- German: entstehen (de)
- Greek: ανακύπτω (el) (anakýpto)
- Hungarian: fakad (hu), ered (hu), származik (hu)
- Interlingua: surger, provenir
- Italian: sorgere (it), apparire (it), nascere (it)
- Japanese: 起こる (ja) (おこる, okoru)
- Korean: 일어나다 (ko) (ireonada)
- Latin: surgere
- Bokmål: oppstå
- Nynorsk: oppstå
- Portuguese: surgir (pt), provir (pt), aparecer (pt), nascer (pt)
- Russian: возника́ть (ru) impf (voznikátʹ), возни́кнуть (ru) pf (vozníknutʹ)
- Spanish: surgir (es), provenir, aparecer (es), nacer (es)
- Swedish: uppstå (sv)
- Tok Pisin: kamap