From earlier Godby, Godby'e, Godbwye, God b'w'y, God bwy yee, God buy you, God be wi' you, each a progressively shorter contraction of God be with you. Note the change of God to good by confusion with good morning, good day, etc.
- enPR: go͝odbīʹ, IPA(key): /ɡʊdˈbaɪ/
Audio (US) (file)
- (also, US) IPA(key): /ɡədˈbaɪ/, /ɡəˈbaɪ/
- Rhymes: -aɪ
- Farewell; a formula used to another person or persons when the speaker, writer, or person addressed is departing.
- (informal): catch you later, bye, bye-bye, ciao, see you, so long, ta ta, tatty bye, toodeloo, TTFN, ttyl
- (formal): adieu, adios, farewell, sayonara
- (slang): hasta la vista, hasta la vista, baby, later, laters, keep it real, peace out. take it easy, toodles, peace, cya
- (UK, informal): cheerio, cheery-bye, toodle pip (dated)
- bye-bye, buh-bye (slang)
- good morn, good morning (during the morning)
- good afternoon, good midday (during midday)
- good day (during day)
- good eve, good evening (during the evening)
- good night (during night)
- See also Wikisaurus:goodbye
goodbye (plural goodbyes)
- An utterance of goodbye, the wishing of farewell to someone.
- John gave Rebecca a goodbye to wish her luck on her holiday.