- KangXi: not present, would follow page 678, character 16
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 19260
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 3, page 2218, character 15
- Unihan data for U+7172
|simp. and trad.
There are various proposals regarding the etymology of the word:
- From Old Chinese:
- From a word in the language of the natives in Lingnan, recorded in 《北戶錄》 as 褒 () (as in pɑu褒牛頭) (Luo, 1960; Huang, 2011).
- From English boil (Zhang, 2016).
- (chiefly Cantonese) pot; kettle; cauldron (Classifier: 個／个)
- (chiefly Cantonese) food in a pot
- (chiefly Cantonese) to boil; to cook
- (Cantonese) to smoke (a cigarette)
- (Cantonese) to do something for a long time