|Japanese stroke order|
Despite the technically-correct radical being ⺼ (“meat”) as described in this entry’s glyph origin section, 有 is associated with the radical 月 (“moon”) in dictionaries for historical reasons and is likewise written as if it contained the 月 radical, i.e. it has 二 instead of 冫 inside of 冂.
- KangXi: page 504, character 20
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 14332
- Dae Jaweon: page 880, character 2
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 3, page 2041, character 5
- Unihan data for U+6709
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 有
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Large seal script||Small seal script|
|Characters in the same phonetic series (又) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
Phono-semantic compound (形聲, *ɢʷɯʔ): phonetic 又 (, *ɢʷɯs“hand”) + semantic ⺼ (“meat”) – a hand holding meat, hence “in possession of”. 又 is both a phonetic and semantic component. The hand shape has been significantly abstracted; compare 右 (). *ɢʷɯʔ, *ɢʷɯs
Shuowen Jiezi and other ancient sources have erroneously analyzed the character as a phono-semantic compound (形聲, *ɢʷɯʔ): phonetic 又 ( *ɢʷɯs) + semantic 月 (“moon”). Shuowen Jiezi defines 有 as "不宜有也" ("[to have something that] not should be had"), citing the Spring and Autumn Annals (春秋傳): "日月有食之" ("There are solar and lunar eclipses"). As eclipses were not auspicious to the Chinese, they were "something that should not be happening". The 月 component alludes to the inauspicious lunar eclipse.
- 侑 (, “to offer, to sacrifice”) [causative, i.e. “to cause to have”] *ɢʷɯs
- 又 (, “again”) [adverbial] *ɢʷɯs
- 或 (, “some; or”) [indefinite] *ɡʷɯːɡ
- Gan (Wiktionary): iu3
- Jin (Wiktionary): iou2
- Min Dong (BUC): ô / īu
- Min Nan
- Wu (Wiktionary): hhieu (T3)
- Xiang (Wiktionary): iou3
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Xiamen, Zhangzhou, mainstream Taiwanese)
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou)
- (Hokkien: Xiamen, Quanzhou, Zhangzhou, mainstream Taiwanese)
- to have; to possess (when a subject is present)
- there is; to exist (when a subject is absent)
- (euphemistic) to be pregnant with a child
- abundant; affluent
- many; much; (of time) long; (of age) old
- some (indefinite pronoun)
- A surname.
- † Alternative form of 又 (yòu, “again”).
- † Alternative form of 又 (yòu, “and; with a remainder of (when dividing an integer by ten)”).
- 吾十有五而志於學，三十而立。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- 吾十有五而志于学，三十而立。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: c. 479 BCE – 221 BCE, Analects of Confucius (論語．為政)
- Wú shí yòu wǔ ér zhì yú xué, sānshí ér lì. [Pinyin]
- When I was 10 and 5 years (15 years old), I devoted myself to study. At the age of 30, I established myself (got a job and started a family).
- get to exist; appear
- keep; maintain
- existence; belonging
- someone did certain thing
- Goon: う (u)
- Kan’on: ゆう (yū)
- Kun: ある (aru), もつ (motsu), たもつ (tamotsu)
- Nanori: あり (ari), すみ (sumi), たもつ (tamotsu), とお (tō), とも (tomo), なお (nao), なり (nari), みち (michi), もち (mochi), り (ri)
- 有る (aru)
- A female given name
有 • (yu)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text