- (transitive) To direct the attention of.
- The shop assistant referred me to the help desk on ground floor.
- (transitive) To submit to (another person or group) for consideration; to send or direct elsewhere.
- He referred the matter to the principal.
- to refer a patient to a psychiatrist
- (transitive) To place in or under by a mental or rational process; to assign to, as a class, a cause, source, a motive, reason, or ground of explanation.
- He referred the phenomena to electrical disturbances.
- (Can we add an example for this sense?) (intransitive, construed with to) To allude to, make a reference or allusion to.
to direct to a source for help or information
to direct the attention of
to allude to (grammar term)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked