- KangXi: not present, would follow page 109, character 17
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 818
- Dae Jaweon: page 232, character 20
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 172, character 9
- Unihan data for U+5037
|simp. and trad.
|variant forms||奈 Suzhou|
- Suzhou Wu “you”
- Some scholars suggest that it is from 汝 () ( ȵɨʌXMei, 1993) or 爾 () ( ȵiᴇXYou, 1995), both of which have been related to /n̩/ or /ŋ̍/, the second-person singular pronoun in other Wu dialects (You, 1995; Chen and Pan, 1999).
- However, Chen and Pan (1999) argue that it is a contraction of 汝儂. They suggest that 儂 may have undergone a change: /*neŋ/ > /*nẽ/ > /ne/. Thus, 汝 /n̩/ + 儂 /ne/ > /ne/. Compare Shanghainese 儂 /nʊŋ/, which also derives from 汝儂 /n̩ nʊŋ/.