finish; complete; accomplish; become; turn into; win; succeed; one tenth
metropolis; capital city; all; both (if two things are involved); entirely; even; already
|simp. and trad.
May be the transcription of a native non-Chinese word.
Alternatively, the name may be derived from its status as the new capital of Shu under the ninth king of its Kaiming dynasty, supposedly in homage to King Tai of Zhou's statement that a new settlement needed one year to become a town, two to become a city, and three to become a metropolis (一年而所居成聚，二年成邑，三年成都).
- Cantonese (Jyutping): sing4 dou1
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): Sṳ̀n-tû
- Min Dong (BUC): Sìng-dŭ
- Min Nan (POJ): Sêng-to͘
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (～市) Chengdu, a prefecture-level city formerly the capital of the kingdom of Shu and now the capital of the province of Sichuan
- (informal or literary nicknames): 龜城／龟城 (Guīchéng), 錦城／锦城 (Jǐnchéng), 蓉城 (Róngchéng); 錦官城／锦官城 (Jǐnguānchéng) (obsolete)
- (historical): 西京 (Xījīng) (at fall of Ming)