是 (Kangxi radical 72, 日+5, 9 strokes, cangjie input 日一卜人 (AMYO), four-corner 60801, composition ⿱日𤴓)
- Shuowen Jiezi radical №32
- 偍, 㔭, 㖷, 堤, 媞, 崼, 徥, 惿, 提, 湜, 隄, 遈, 㮛, 煶, 瑅, 禔, 䐎, 睼, 碮, 䅠, 褆, 䊓, 緹(缇), 蝭, 䚣, 諟(𬤊), 䜻, 趧, 踶, 醍, 鍉, 鞮, 䪘, 騠(𫘨), 鯷(鳀)
- 㓳, 匙, 尟, 㼵, 韙(韪), 題(题), 鶗, 寔, 䈕, 翨
- KangXi: page 493, character 26
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 13859
- Dae Jaweon: page 858, character 6
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 2, page 1497, character 5
- Unihan data for U+662F
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 是|
|Western Zhou||Spring and Autumn||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Bronze inscriptions||Bronze inscriptions||Bronze inscriptions||Chu slip and silk script||Qin slip script||Shizhoupian script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
|堤||*teː, *teːʔ, *dje|
|媞||*deː, *deːʔ, *djeʔ|
|褆||*deː, *deʔ, *djeʔ|
|禔||*deː, *tje, *dje|
|鯷||*deː, *deːs, *djes|
Originally a phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *djeʔ): semantic 早 + phonetic 止 (OC *kjɯʔ), but the original meaning is unclear. It has been suggested that 早 looks like a spoon, so 是 may have been the original character for 匙 (OC *dje, “spoon”). As early as in late bronze inscriptions, the lower part of 早 split off and combined with 止 to give 昰, which carried over to the small seal script, and Shuowen considers this a compound of 日 (“sun”) + 正 (“upright; right”) (i.e. as the upright sun).
“This [an independent pronoun] > be right, correct, to be, so”. From Proto-Sino-Tibetan *m-daj ~ m-di (“that; this”). In Chinese, cognate with 寔 (OC *djɯɡ, “this”), 實 (OC *ɦliɡ, “this”), 之 (OC *tjɯ, “this; he; she; it”), 諟 (OC *djeʔ, “to examine, to consider”). In Tibeto-Burman, cognate with Tibetan དེ (de, “that”), Jingpho dai, ndai (“this”).
- (literary) this; this thing
- 是日 ― shìrì ― this day
- 是可忍，孰不可忍？ [Classical Chinese] ― Shì kě rěn, shú bù kě rěn? [Pinyin] ― If this can be tolerated, what cannot?
- (copulative) to be
- indicating that the subject and object are the same.
- indicating that the subject has the qualities described by a noun or noun phrase.
- indicating a place being occupied by the object, where the place forms the subject.
- a particle emphasizing the word following it.
- a particle showing agreement. In this meaning, 是 is stressed. truly; indeed.
- (in affirmative answers) yes; right
- true; correct
- 不是 ― búshì ― fault; mistake; wrongdoing
- 你說得是／你说得是 ― nǐ shuō de shì ― What you said is right
- 各行其是 ― gè xíng qí shì ― to have each going his own way, i.e., doing what he considers right
- 共商國是／共商国是 ― gòng shāng guóshì ― to discuss national affairs (This is a fossil word from Ancient Chinese where 是 (OC *djeʔ) originally means "what is right (for the country)", i.e., "laws and policies")
- 彼人是哉！子曰何其？ [Pre-Classical Chinese, trad. and simp.]
- From: The Classic of Poetry, c. 11th – 7th centuries BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Bǐrén shì zāi! Zǐ yuē hé qí? [Pinyin]
- Those men are / That man is right! What do you mean by your words?
- a surname
When translated as "to be", 是 is used only to link two nouns or nominal expressions.
- 我是老師／我是老师 ― wǒ shì lǎoshī ― I am a teacher
是 is not used to link a noun and an adjective. The following sentence would be incorrect:
The correct sentence is
Here, 很 (hěn) is used as a filler to link a noun and an adjective and is not interpreted as "very".
A way to use 是 with an adjective is to use 的 (de) after the adjective to turn it into a noun.
- Wutunhua: hai
- “是”, in 漢語多功能字庫 (Multi-function Chinese Character Database), 香港中文大學 (the Chinese University of Hong Kong), 2014–
- “Entry #5013”, in 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Min Nan), Ministry of Education, R.O.C., 2011.
- Go-on: ぜ (ze, Jōyō)
- Kan-on: し (shi)
- Kun: これ (kore, 是); この (kono, 是); ここ (koko, 是)
- Nanori: これ (kore); すなお (sunao); ただし (tadashi); つな (tsuna); ゆき (yuki); よし (yoshi)
|Kanji in this term|
|Kanji in this term|
|For pronunciation and definitions of 是 – see the following entry.|
|(This term, 是, is an alternative spelling of the above term.)|
A semantically adopted phonogram (hun'gaja). 是 means "this" in Chinese, and the native Korean word for "this" is 이 (i).
A phonetically adopted phonogram (eum'gaja), from the Middle Chinese reading 是 (MC d͡ʑiᴇX).
- to be
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text