You might get a tad bit more info about me on my en.Wikipedia user page.
I've contributed a few Hungarian translations and Hungarian words here.
- Category:Translations to be checked (Hungarian)
- Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/PG/2005/10/1-10000 (English)
B jonas 13:57, 10 July 2007 (UTC)
Some notes on English usageEdit
Do not confuse these pairs of English wordsEdit
- /ˈdɛprɪkeɪt/ talk disapprovingly; also used instead of depreciate sometimes
- /dɪˈpriːʃɪeɪt/ become less valuable
- /daɪˈleɪt, dɪˈleɪt/ expand or widen (esp. a gap)
- /daɪˈluːt, dɪˈluːt/ make (a solution) less dense
- /dɪˈleɪt/ report a person for their rule breaking
- /dɪˈleɪd/ past of delay, push to later time
- /dɪˈliːt/ remove
- /dɪˈlaɪt/ happyness
- /dɪˈluːd/ convince about falsehoods
- /kənˈtɪnjʊəs/ without interruption
- /kənˈtɪgjʊəs/ sharing a border, or without gaps
- sign /saɪn/ – signal /ˈsɪgnəl/
- finite /ˈfaɪnaɪt/ – infinite /ˈɪnfɪnɪt/
- cycle /ˈsaɪkəl/ – bicycle /ˈbaɪsɪkəl/
- number /'nʌmbər/ – numerous /ˈnjuːmərəs/, numeral /ˈnjuːmərəl/, numeric /njuːˈmɛrɪk/ etc
- design /dɪˈzaɪn/ – designate /ˈdɛzɪgneɪt/
Some words of which I need to learn the spellingEdit
(There are too many words of which I need to learn the pronunciation that I don't even bother to start to list them.)
- weird (as a workaround, learn to just use curious or strange in most cases)
- hygiene, etymology, mysterious, Odyssey, myopia, hibernate
- appearance, maintenance, existence
- appropriate, privilege, obsolete
- homogeneous, jealous
Links on particular points of English usageEdit
Silent initial consonantsEdit
If a word starts with any of the following combination of consonants, the first consonant is almost always silent in English.
- write, wrong, wrist, wrap, wreck, wrest, wrestle, wriggle, wrinkle, wrath, wraith, wreath, wrangle, wren, wright, wrought, wring, writ, writhe, wry.
- know, knife, knock, knee, knight, knob, knot, knit, knack, knout, knuckle.
- psychology (and lots of related words), psalm, pseudo, psychic, psionics.
- gnaw, gnash, gnome, gnu, gnat.
Pronounciation of -ough in EnglishEdit
List of such words: although borough bough breakthrough cough dough enough furlough hough Marlborough McCullough rough Scarborough slough sough sourdough thorough though through tough trough. – b_jonas 11:42, 7 September 2008 (UTC)
All from wiktionary as of 2008-06-13: -borough alpine-chough although borough bough chough cough dough eavestrough enough furlough Hiccough hiccough Hillsborough hough Loughborough lough Marlborough Middlesbrough Myerscough Peterborough Plough plough Rough rough Scarborough Slough slough snowplough sough sourdough thirdborough Thorough thorough though tough trough turlough Conrad.Irwin 11:39, 7 September 2008 (UTC) Sorted list inplace for easier use of paper dict. – b_jonas 11:45, 7 September 2008 (UTC)
Pron source below: Paul Procter (editor), Dictionary of Contemporary English, A Langenscheidt-Longman Dictionary. Longman Group Ltd., 1985, 7th printing.
- turlough /ˈtʊələʊx/
English words ending in éEdit
These are usually confusing when written with "e" instead of "é".
An old project of mine on WiktionaryEdit
My current project (stalled for a long time now) here is to add most two-letter Hungarian words to wiktionary. I exclude some interjections, word parts that are not a complete word, interjections and other meaningless words, and words I forget. I've done the words starting with a–í, so I now have to continue from j. About half of the words already had a suitable entry which makes the project much easier.