asterisk (plural asterisks)
- The symbol *.
- Something in the shape of or resembling the asterisk symbol.
- (sports, US) A blemish in an otherwise outstanding achievement.
- They came into the tournament highly ranked, but with a little bit of an asterisk as their last two wins had been unconvincing.
symbol used to highlight words or sentences
- asterisk in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- asterisk in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
Declension of asterisk