- that place over there
- Synonym: đấy
- Đứng đó làm gì ?
- Whatcha doin' over there?
- that person/thing over there
- Đây là phòng khách. Đó là phòng ngủ.
- This is the living room. That is the bedroom.
- that idea/notion I/we've just described/discussed
- Gặp lại nhau bất kể trở ngại, bất kể thử thách. Đó là duyên số.
- People keep seeing each other again despite all the obstacles, all the challenges. That's what I call fate.
- In the Northern dialects, đấy is usually preferred.
- The demonstrative pronoun đó ("there, that") denotes a place, person or thing far from the speaker, but close to whom the speaker is talking to. When denoting a place, đó refers to either a location or a movement to the location.
- The destination for đi in the "đi + preposition + destination" construction can be expressed by đó ("there") and is treated as a noun.
- Đó là thằng bạn tui. ― That is my friend.
- Indefinite pronouns and adverbs are formed by placing a question word before the demonstrative đó: ai đó ("someone"), cái gì đó ("something"), ở đâu đó ("somewhere"), khi nào đó ("sometime"), nơi nào đó ("somewhere, someplace, in some place"), người nào đó ("someone").
- Mày đi đâu thì tao đi theo tới đó. ― Wherever you go, I will follow you.
- Đó is used after a preposition to refer to an action or event that has just been mentioned.
- As a demonstrative adjective, đó or ấy are used after a noun to indicate which person, thing or idea is being shown, pointed to or mentioned. It is equivalent to English "that, those".
- Thằng đó ngáo lắm, đừng có mà rờ vô. ― That guy is off his rocker, just stay away from him.
|Laurence Thompson (1965), Vietnamese Grammar|
|Unspecified||Close to the
đ- (first register)
n- (second register)
b- (first register)
‘to whatever extent’
‘to this extent’
‘to that extent’
s- (first register)
v- (second register)
|Nguyễn Phú Phong (1992), “Vietnamese Demonstratives Revisited”|
- (Southern Vietnam) emphasizes a quality that the listener may not have known; you see?; I'm telling you
- Tao mới coi tối qua. Hơi bị hay đó ! Bữa nào mày cũng dành thời gian coi đi !
- I finally saw it yesterday. Really good, I must say. You should go see it when you have the chance.
- Em mới đến nên không biết, thằng này khùng lắm đó !
- You've just moved here so you might not have known, but he's pretty screwed up in the head.
(classifier cái) đó