See also: Appendix:Variations of "day"
Usage notes Edit
- In the Southern dialects, đó is usually preferred.
- The demonstrative pronoun đấy ("there, that") denotes a place, person or thing far from the speaker, but close to whom the speaker is talking to. When denoting a place, đấy refers to either a location or a movement to the location.
- The destination for đi in the "đi + preposition + destination" construction can be expressed by đấy ("there") and is treated as a noun.
- Đấy là bạn tôi. ― That is my friend.
- Indefinite pronouns and adverbs are formed by placing a question word before the demonstrative đấy: ai đấy ("someone"), cái gì đấy ("something"), ở đâu đấy ("somewhere"), khi nào đấy ("sometime"), nơi nào đấy ("somewhere, someplace, in some place"), người nào đấy ("someone").
- Chị đi đâu, tôi đi đến đấy với chị. ― Wherever you go, I will come with you.
- Đấy is used after a preposition to refer to an action or event that has just been mentioned.
- In recent years, the demonstrative pronoun đấy is used in the Hanoi dialect with the function of the demonstrative adjective ấy, for instance: kĩ sư đấy, cái áo đấy, bộ phim đấy.
See also Edit
|Laurence Thompson (1965), Vietnamese Grammar|
|Unspecified||Close to the
đ- (first register)
n- (second register)
b- (first register)
‘to whatever extent’
‘to this extent’
‘to that extent’
s- (first register)
v- (second register)
|Nguyễn Phú Phong (1992), “Vietnamese Demonstratives Revisited”|
(rime was a rounded
|1 Originally can only follow a nominal (being used attributively), hence nơi này (“this place; here”), nơi nào (“where”) (no longer completely true in the modern language). |
2 Can be used on its own/is itself nominal, hence đây (“here”), đâu (“where”).
3 From earlier *C-raːw (where *C is nonspecific consonant).
4 Placed before the head: bây nhiêu (“this much”), bấy nhiêu (“that much”), bao nhiêu (“how much”).
5 Placed after the head: nhanh vầy (“this fast”), nhanh vậy (“that fast/so fast”).
- (Northern Vietnam) sentence-final particle used in questions for asking in a more polite way
- Anh đang chờ ai đấy?
- Who are you waiting for?
- (Northern Vietnam) sentence-final particle in statements to express affirmation