Exists as traditional character, also Chinese Simplified from 蕓 (elimination of 雨), and Japanese Simplified from 藝 (elimination of 埶)
Note that the character has different meanings in simplified Chinese (simplification of 蕓) and modern Japanese (simplification of 藝). Chinese simplification of 藝 is 艺 instead.
芸 (radical 140 艸+4, 10 strokes, cangjie input 廿一一戈 (TMMI), four-corner 44731, composition ⿱艹云)
- KangXi: page 1021, character 7
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 30741
- Dae Jaweon: page 1480, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 5, page 3178, character 4
- Unihan data for U+82B8
Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *ɢun): semantic 艸 + phonetic 云 (OC *ɢun).
- to cut grass or weeds (same as 耘)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 芸 – see 蕓 (“rue”).
(This character, 芸, is the simplified form of 蕓.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 芸 – see 藝.
(This character, 芸, is a variant form of 藝.)
(grade 4 “Kyōiku” kanji, shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai form 藝)
- (derived from 藝) technique, art, craft, performance
- (derived from 蕓) rue, the herb
From Middle Chinese 藝 (ngjiejH, “art, skill”).
芸 (shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai kanji 藝, hiragana げい, rōmaji gei)
- art, craft, technique, performance
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text