- KangXi: page 86, character 8
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 254
- Dae Jaweon: page 178, character 1
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 384, character 2
- Unihan data for U+4E91
|Historical forms of the character 云|
|Shang||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)|
|Oracle bone script||Small seal script|
|Characters in the same phonetic series (云) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
Pictogram (象形), originally a stylized picture of clouds. Jiajie (假借) - The character was subsequently borrowed for a near-homophone meaning "to say", and the original meaning came to be represented by 雲 (), through the addition of a semantic component *ɢun雨 (“rain”).
The simplified form adopted by the People's Republic of China in the 1950s eliminates this later addition and uses 云 for both "to say" and "cloud".
|For pronunciation and definitions of 云 – see 雲 (“cloud; cloud; etc.”).
(This character, 云, is the simplified form of 雲.)
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): wan4
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): yùn
- Min Dong (BUC): ùng
- Min Nan (POJ): ûn / în
- Wu (Wiktionary): hhyn (T3)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- to say
- 云う (iu)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text