云 (Kangxi radical 7, 二+2, 4 strokes, cangjie input 一一戈 (MMI), four-corner 10731, composition ⿱二厶 or ⿱一𠫔)
- 呍, 妘, 沄, 抎, 忶, 枟, 眃, 𥐯, 秐, 紜(纭), 耘, 耺, 夽, 侌, 芸, 凨, 囩, 雲, 藝, 䢵, 魂, 䲰(𪉂), 䰟, 兿
- 転, 伝 (Simplified from 專 in Japanese)
- 沄, 叆, 叇, 昙 (Simplified from 雲 in traditional Chinese)
- 会, 尝, 层, 动, 运, 坛, 酝 (Simplified from various components in traditional Chinese)
- 雲 (Traditional form of 云)
- KangXi: page 86, character 8
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 254
- Dae Jaweon: page 178, character 1
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 1, page 384, character 2
- Unihan data for U+4E91
|Historical forms of the character 云|
|Shang||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)|
|Oracle bone script||Small seal script|
Mostly from Richard Sears' Chinese Etymology site (authorisation),
Pictogram (象形): a stylized picture of clouds. The derivative 雲／云 (yún) refers to the original word.
Jiajie (假借) - The character was subsequently borrowed for a near-homophone meaning "to say", and the original meaning came to be represented by 雲 (OC *ɢun), through the addition of a semantic component 雨 (“rain”).
The simplified form adopted by the People's Republic of China in the 1950s eliminates this later addition and uses 云 for both "to say" and "cloud".
|For pronunciation and definitions of 云 – see 雲 (“cloud; cloud; etc.”).|
(This character, 云, is the simplified and variant form of 雲.)
|simp. and trad.
(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium.)
- (literary) to say; to speak (used when quoting from a source)
- A particle.
- a surname:
- (Quanzhou, Xiamen and Philippines Hokkien) to go on a pleasure trip; to roam around
- (～母) (Chinese linguistics) the Middle Chinese initial of 云 (MC ɦɨun), equivalent to the 3rd 等 (děng) of the initial 喻 (MC jɨoH)
(“Jinmeiyō” kanji used for names)
- Go-on: うん (un)
- Kan-on: うん (un)
- Kun: いう (iu, 云う)←いふ (ifu, 云ふ, historical)
- Nanori: おき (oki); これ (kore); とも (tomo); ひと (hito)
|Kanji in this term|
From Middle Chinese 云 (MC ɦɨun).
云 (eum 운 (un))
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
云: Hán Việt readings: vân (
云: Nôm readings: vân