|← 2||3||4 →|
| Cardinal: three|
Multiplier: triple, threefold
- (UK) enPR: thûd, IPA(key): /θɜːd/
- (US) enPR: thûrd, IPA(key): /θɝd/
Audio (US) (file)
- (NYC) IPA(key): /tɜjd/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)d
third (not comparable)
- The ordinal form of the cardinal number three; Coming after the second.
- The third tree from the left is my favorite.
the ordinal form of the cardinal number three — See also translations at 3rd
- The person or thing in the third position.
- Jones came in third.
- One of three equal parts of a whole.
- He ate a third of the pie. Divided by two-thirds.
- (uncountable) The third gear of a gearbox.
- Now put it into third.
- (music) An interval consisting of the first and third notes in a scale.
- They sing in thirds.
- (baseball) third base
- The play ended with Jones standing on third.
- (golf) A handicap of one stroke every third hole.
- A third-class degree, awarded to the lowest achievers in an honours degree programme
- (archaic) One sixtieth of a second, i.e., the third in a series of fractional parts in a sexagesimal number system. Also formerly known as a tierce.
person or thing in the third position
one of three equal parts of a whole
third gear — see third gear
third base — see third base
- (informal) To agree with a proposition or statement after it has already been seconded.
- To divide into three equal parts.
agree with a proposition
divide into three parts