爲 (Kangxi radical 87, 爪+8, 12 strokes, cangjie input 月竹弓火 (BHNF), four-corner 20227 or 20327, composition ⿱爫⿵⿰丿⿳㇇㇇𠃌灬)
- KangXi: page 689, character 13
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 19686
- Dae Jaweon: page 1102, character 16
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 3, page 2033, character 21
- Unihan data for U+7232
Originally an Ideogrammic compound (會意): 又 (“hand”) + 象 (“elephant”). See 為 for the full etymology and historical forms.
|For pronunciation and definitions of 爲 – see 為 (“to do; to act; to make; to administer; to govern; etc.”).|
(This character, 爲, is a variant traditional form of 為.)
(“Jinmeiyō” kanji used for names, kyūjitai kanji, shinjitai form 為)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
- Go-on: い (i)←ゐ (wi, historical)
- Kan-on: い (i)←ゐ (wi, historical)
- Kun: ため (tame, 爲); する (suru, 爲る); なす (nasu, 爲す); なる (naru, 爲る)
Rarely used except for historical surnames such as 爲ケ谷 (ためがや), nowadays written 為谷.
- Idu script spelling of ᄒᆞ (ho-, “to do”, also a light verb deriving verbs and adjectives)
- to do
- Synonym: 爲只 (*SIk-)
- a light verb attached to various non-verbs to derive verbs and adjectives.
- (after a locative particle) to be at
Various inflected or derived verbal forms which were written phonetically, e.g. 乎 or 兮, testify beyond doubt that this word had initial */h-/ and is the ancestor of Middle Korean ᄒᆞ다〮 (Yale: hò-tá). It is usually transcribed as *HO- after the Middle Korean reflex, but the Middle Korean irregular infinitive ᄒᆞ〮야〮 (Yale: hóy-á) implies that the earlier form was actually *hoy- (Vovin 2010, p.27). Whether the attested Old Korean forms transcribed older *hoy- or later *ho- is unclear due to the phonological opaqueness of the orthography.
- Middle Korean: ᄒᆞ다〮 (hò-tá, “to do; light verb”)
- 황선엽 (Hwang Seon-yeop) et al. (2009) 석독구결사전/釋讀口訣辭典 [Dictionary of interpretive gugyeol], Bakmunsa, →ISBN, pages 411—549
爲: Hán Việt readings: vị, vì
爲: Nôm readings: vay, ví, vĩ, voi, vơ, vờ, vi
- chữ Hán form of vì (“because”).
- 1741, Đặng Trần Côn (鄧陳琨), Đoàn Thị Điểm (段氏點), transl., Chinh phụ ngâm (征婦吟) [The Song of a Soldier's Wife], line 4:
爲 埃 𨢟 孕 朱 𢧚 餒 尼
- (please add an English translation of this quote)