See also: 衊
蔑 (Kangxi radical 140, 艸+11, 15 strokes in traditional Chinese and Korean, 14 strokes in mainland China and Japanese, cangjie input 廿田中戈 (TWLI), four-corner 44253, composition ⿱𦭝戍 or ⿳艹罒戍)
- KangXi: page 1054, character 3
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 31781
- Dae Jaweon: page 1516, character 26
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 5, page 3279, character 8
- Unihan data for U+8511
|Historical forms of the character 蔑|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions|
Characters in the same phonetic series (蔑) (Zhengzhang, 2003)
Ideogrammic compound (會意): 𦰋 (“person”) + 戈 (“dagger-axe”) – a weapon striking a person's lower leg.
𦰋 (“person”) was composed of an eye with eyebrows (now written 眉) on top of 人. The eye and eyebrows are written ⿱艹罒 in the modern form of 蔑, and 人 has combined with 戈 to form 戍.
- to belittle; to disdain; to despise
- to extinguish; to obliterate
- to discard
- slight; small; lowly
- nothing; none
- (of the eye) red and swollen, making one unable to see clearly
|For pronunciation and definitions of 蔑 – see 衊 (“dirty blood; to smear; etc.”).|
(This character, 蔑, is the simplified form of 衊.)
- “蔑”, in 漢語多功能字庫 (Multi-function Chinese Character Database), 香港中文大學 (the Chinese University of Hong Kong), 2014–
- Go-on: めち (mechi)
- Kan-on: べつ (betsu, Jōyō)
- Kun: さげすむ (sagesumu, 蔑む, Jōyō); ないがしろ (naigashiro, 蔑ろ); なみする (namisuru, 蔑する); ない (nai)
From Middle Chinese 蔑 (MC met̚).
Recorded as Middle Korean 며ᇙ〮 (Yale: myelq) in Dongguk Jeongun (東國正韻 / 동국정운), 1448.
Recorded as Middle Korean 멸〮 (myél) (Yale: myel) in Hunmong Jahoe (訓蒙字會 / 훈몽자회), 1527.
蔑 (eumhun 업신여길 멸 (eopsinyeogil myeol))
- 국제퇴계학회 대구경북지부 (國際退溪學會 大邱慶北支部) (2007). Digital Hanja Dictionary, 전자사전／電子字典. 
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text