Ideogrammic compound (會意): 辶 (“move”) + 夊 (“walk”) + 日 (“sun”) – to walk away from the sun, to retreat.
Current form is essentially 辶 + 艮, where the unrelated 艮 is a simplification of 日 + 夊 – in careful writing the form may be slightly different (notably in the lower right component being separated and convex, rather than attached and concave), reflecting different etymology.
Cognate with 褪 (OC *n̥ʰuːns).
- to step back; to move backwards
- to withdraw; to leave
- to cause to move backward
- to recede; to fade; to ebb
- to return (a purchase, etc.); to refund
- to cancel; to call off
(grade 5 “Kyōiku” kanji)
- retreat, withdraw
- cause to retreat or withdraw: to drive out
- Go-on: たい (tai, Jōyō)
- Kan-on: たい (tai, Jōyō)
- Kun: そく (soku, 退く); そき (soki, 退); そき (soki, 退き); しりぞく (shirizoku, 退く, Jōyō); しりぞける (shirizokeru, 退ける, Jōyō); どく (doku, 退く); どかす (dokasu, 退かす); どける (dokeru, 退ける); のく (noku, 退く); のかす (nokasu, 退かす); のける (nokeru, 退ける); のけ (noke); のけ (noke, 退け); ひく (hiku, 退く); ひける (hikeru, 退ける); ひけ (hike, 退); ひけ (hike, 退け); しさる (shisaru, 退る); すさる (susaru, 退る)
退 • (toe) (hangeul 퇴, revised toe, McCune–Reischauer t'oe, Yale thoy)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text