- IPA(key): [ta̠i]
- In Tokyo speech, the accent of the verb construction depends on the suffixed verb:
- If the suffixed verb is accented, the accent falls on the first mora in the suffix: つ る[tsùkúꜜrù] (Nakadaka) → つ い[tsùkúrítáꜜì] (Nakadaka)
- If the suffixed verb is non-accented and the suffix is in the dictionary form (nonpast), the result is either non-accented or accented on the first mora of the suffix: あ [àsóbú] (Heiban) → あ [àsóbítáí] (Heiban) or あ い[àsóbítáꜜì] (Nakadaka). Further conjugation is based on the accented version.
たい (rōmaji -tai)
- (jodōshi) Used to form the desiderative of verbs: want to
- Ichido Mozanbīku ni ittemitai desu.
- I want to go to Mozambique at least once.
- Ā, shinitai.
- Just kill me now.
- (literally, “I want to die.”)
- Attaches to the 連用形 (ren'yōkei, “continuative or stem form”) of verbs. The result is conjugated like an adjective (形容詞) but allows for the combination with nominal particles such as を, unlike regular adjectives.
- 死にたくない ― shinitaku nai ― do not want to die
- それを食べたかった。 ― sore o tabetakatta. ― I wanted to eat that.
- This adjective is not used to make factual statements about other people's desires outside of quoting them. For people other than the speaker it is confined mainly to asking questions. Otherwise it is replaced with constructions expressing impressions of the other person's desire, such as よう.
- The kanji spelling 度い is obsolete.
- たがる (tagaru)
たい (rōmaji -tai)
たい (rōmaji tai)
- 鯛: sea bream
- 田井: place for storage of saved water in a field
- 田居: field
- 体: body
- 対: versus, anti
- 胎: womb
- 敦: dui (vessel)
- 隊: party, troop, band
- 態: condition; (grammar) voice - active voice, passive voice
- 他意: other intention
- タイ, 泰: Thai