- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈswiːtˌhɑːt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈswitˌhɑɹt/, [ˈswiˌɾ(ʱ)ɑɹt̠̚]
Audio (US) (file)
sweetheart (plural sweethearts)
- A person who is always very kind.
- She is such a sweetheart: she never complains about me being late.
- A person very much liked or loved by someone, especially when both partners are young.
- John married his high-school sweetheart in 1981.
- c. 1591–1595, [William Shakespeare], […] Romeo and Iuliet. […] (Second Quarto), London: Printed by Thomas Creede, for Cuthbert Burby, […], published 1599, OCLC 222309388, [Act IV, scene v]:
- Why Lambe, why Lady, fie you ſluggabed, / Why Loue I ſay, Madam, ſweeteheart, why Bride: / What not a word, you take your penniworths now, / Sleepe for a weeke, […]
- (US) A female member of a college or university fraternity.
- (kind person): sweetie.
- (romantic term of endearment): dear, darling, sweetie, see also Thesaurus:sweetheart
a person who is always very kind