- KangXi: page 376, character 21
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 10331
- Dae Jaweon: page 703, character 7
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 4, page 2269, character 4
- Unihan data for U+5FD7
|Characters in the same phonetic series (之) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
Note that the top has been simplified and is now graphically 士.
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): zi3
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): chṳ
- Min Dong (BUC): cé
- Min Nan (POJ): chì
- Wu (Wiktionary): tsr (T2)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
|For pronunciation and definitions of 志 – see 誌.
(This character, 志, is the simplified form of 誌.)
This is one of only three everyday kanji with a 5 morae reading, and one of only two nouns, namely 志 (こころざし, kokorozashi) (nominalization of form of verb 志す (こころざす, kokorozasu), which has a four-mora reading). The only other kanji with five-mora readings are 承, in the verb 承る (（うけたまわ）る, uketamawa-ru), and 詔 (みことのり, mikotonori). No kanji in common use has a six- or more mora reading.
The unusually long reading is due to two factors: 志 is a nominalization of the verb 志す which has a long reading (4 morae, kokoroza-su), which itself is a noun-verb compound, 心指す kokoro-za(su). The nominalization removing the okurigana, hence increasing the reading by one morae, yielding 4+1=5, or more finely 3+(1+1)=5 (compare common 話 (はなし, hanashi) 2+1=3, from 話す (はなす, hana-su)).
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text