- insert; stick in; pierce; to take part in; to interfere; to interposebranch of study; administrative section; division; field; branch; stage directions; family (taxonomy); rules; laws; to mete out (punishment); to levy (taxes, etc.); to fine somebody
trad. (插科打諢) 插 科 打諢 simp. (插科打诨) 插 科 打诨 alternative forms 打諢插科／打诨插科 Literally: “(of an actor of traditional Chinese opera) to make people laugh through actions and jokes (during a performance)”.
- to jest; to joke; to tell a joke; to crack a joke; to wisecrack
- 左冷禪籌劃這一場五嶽並派，原擬辦得莊嚴隆重，好教天下英雄齊生敬畏之心，不料斜刺里鑽了這六個憊懶家伙出來，插科打諢，將一個盛大的典禮搞得好似一場兒戲 [MSC, trad.]
- From: 1969 October 12, Jin Yong, The Smiling, Proud Wanderer, chapter 32
- Zuǒ Lěngchán chóuhuà zhè yīchǎng wǔyuè bìngpài, yuán nǐ bànde zhuāngyán lóngzhòng, hǎo jiào tiānxià yīngxióng qí shēng jìngwèi zhī xīn, bùliào xiécìlǐ zuànle zhè liùgè bèilǎn jiāhuo chūlái, chākēdǎhùn, jiāng yīgè shèngdà de diǎnlǐ gǎode hǎosì yīchǎng érxì [Pinyin]
- Zuo Lengchan originally designed this ceremony for a combination of the Five Mountain Sword Sects as a solemn and grand one which could make all the warriors in China revere it. However, six naughty guys, who suddenly appeared, made a grand ceremony look like a trivial one by jesting and teasing
左冷禅筹划这一场五岳并派，原拟办得庄严隆重，好教天下英雄齐生敬畏之心，不料斜刺里钻了这六个惫懒家伙出来，插科打诨，将一个盛大的典礼搞得好似一场儿戏 [MSC, simp.]