Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *pads): semantic 广 (“house”) + phonetic 發 (OC *pad).
During the Zhou–Qin period, 灋 (OC *pqab) and 法 (OC *pqab) were used to represent 廢.
Related to 乏 (OC *bob, “to lack; to neglect”). Cognate with Tibetan འབབ ('bab, “to go down; to move downward; to descend; calamity”), འབེབས ('bebs, “to cause to fall; to bring down”) (Schuessler, 2007). Also compare Thai บอบ (bɔ̀ɔp, “weak, worn out, run down”) (ibid.).
- † (of house) to collapse
- to abandon; to abrogate; to abolish
- abandoned; deserted
- to stop; to terminate
- to oust; to dethrone
- † to decline; to decay; to ruin
- disabled; handicapped; crippled
- † decayed; spoiled; bad
- † to neglect; to disregard; to overlook
- useless; disused
- waste; unwanted material
- † to fall; to drop
- † to kill; to slay
- † to lay down
- † to waste; to squander
- † Alternative form of 發／发 (fā, “to take place; to happen”).
- dejected; dispirited