- possessive suffix for multiple possessions:
- (with no noun for possessor) his, her, its ……-s (third-person singular; the pronoun ő (“s/he”) being optional for emphasis)
- (with no noun for possessor, formal) your ……-s (second-person singular, grammatically resembling the third person sg.)
- construed with or certain pronouns as the possessor: ……’s ……-s, ……-s of …… (third-person sg. or pl., depending on the noun or pronoun)
- az ember(nek a) házai ― the person’s houses
- a gyerek(nek a) játékai ― the child’s toys
- az emberek(nek a) házai ― the people’s houses
- a gyerekek(nek a) játékai ― the children’s toys
- az önök házai, a maguk házai ― your (plural, formal) houses
- azok(nak a) házai ― the houses of those
- ki(k)nek a játékai? ― whose toys?
- (possessive suffix) Variants:
- -i is added to words ending in a vowel except -i. Final -a changes to -á-; final -e changes to -é-. The latter feature distinguishes it from the -i (adjective-forming suffix), which does not lengthen the preceding -a/-e.
- -ai is added to some back-vowel words ending in a consonant
- -ei is added to some front-vowel words ending in a consonant
- -jai is added to some back-vowel words ending in a consonant or the vowel -i
- -jei is added to some front-vowel words ending in a consonant or the vowel -i
- If the possessed noun is in the plural and the possessor is expressed in English with a possessive pronoun only (rather than a noun), e.g. “their toys” (as opposed to “the children’s toys”), the -ik/-aik/-eik/-jaik/-jeik suffixes are required in Hungarian.
- -ae (obsolete)
- forms the 2nd-person plural affirmative imperative of 1st conjugation verbs; appended to the stem
- Amai-vos uns aos outros.
- Love (you all) one another.
Like every other 2nd-person plural conjugation, its use is archaic.
- -ei (affirmative imperative for 2nd-conjugation verbs)
- -i (affirmative imperative for 3rd-conjugation verbs)
- -eis (negative imperative for 1st-conjugation verbs)
-ai m (plural -eion)
- receiver or sufferer of action, -ee
- (obsolete) agentive suffix, -er
- (obsolete) instrument
- (obsolete) gas, -gen
- (North Wales, standard) IPA(key): /ai̯/
- (South Wales, standard) IPA(key): /ai̯/
- (literary) verb suffix for the third-person singular imperfect/conditional
- (colloquial) verb suffix for the third-person singular conditional
R. J. Thomas, G. A. Bevan, P. J. Donovan, A. Hawke et al., editors (1950–present), “-ai”, in Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru Online (in Welsh), University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh & Celtic Studies