- (possessive suffix) his/her/its ...-s (third-person singular, multiple possessions)
- (possessive suffix) your …-s (second-person singular and plural formal, multiple possessions)
- a maga házai, az ön házai – your (singular, formal) houses
- a maguk házai, az önök házai – your (plural, formal) houses
- (possessive suffix) Variants:
- -i is added to words ending in a vowel except -i. Final -a changes to -á-. Final -e changes to -é-.
- -ai is added to some back-vowel words ending in a consonant
- -ei is added to some front-vowel words ending in a consonant
- -jai is added to some back-vowel words ending in a consonant or the vowel -i
- -jei is added to some front-vowel words ending in a consonant or the vowel -i
- This suffix (in all forms) is normally used for the third-person singular possessive (multiple possessions) but, after an explicit plural possessor, it also expresses the third-person plural possessive (multiple possessions), e.g. “the children's toys” (a gyerekek játékai). If the possessor is implicit (not named, only marked by a suffix), the plural possessive suffix must be used, e.g. “their toys” (a játékaik, see -aik and its variants).
- -ae (obsolete)
- forms the 2nd-person plural affirmative imperative of 1st conjugation verbs; appended to the stem
- Amai-vos uns aos outros.
- Love (you all) one another.
Like every other 2nd-person plural conjugation, its use is archaic.
- -ei (affirmative imperative for 2nd-conjugation verbs)
- -i (affirmative imperative for 3rd-conjugation verbs)
- -eis (negative imperative for 1st-conjugation verbs)
-ai m (plural -eion)
- receiver or sufferer of action, -ee
- (obsolete) agentive suffix, -er
- (obsolete) instrument
- (obsolete) gas, -gen
- (North Wales, standard) IPA(key): /ai̯/
- (South Wales, standard) IPA(key): /ai̯/
- (literary) verb suffix for the third-person singular imperfect/conditional
- (colloquial) verb suffix for the third-person singular conditional
R. J. Thomas, G. A. Bevan, P. J. Donovan, A. Hawke et al., editors (1950–present) , “-ai”, in Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru Online (in Welsh), University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh & Celtic Studies