- KangXi: page 706, character 2
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 20238
- Dae Jaweon: page 1118, character 17
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 1331, character 8
- Unihan data for U+72AF
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 犯|
|Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)|
|Small seal script|
|Characters in the same phonetic series (氾) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
"To pass over" > "to offend against, oppose". Compare 氾.
This character originally had bilabial nasal (*-m) final in Old and Middle Chinese, but had undergone dissimilation (from bilabial plosive *b-) to become *-n in most dialects, except for Hakka. Similar dissimilation happened in 帆.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): faan6, faan6-2
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): fam
- Min Dong (BUC): huâng
- Min Nan (POJ): hoǎn / hoān
- Wu (Wiktionary): ve (T3)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- to commit (crime), to violate
- 犯罪 ― fànzuì ― to commit crime
- 罪犯 ― zuìfàn ― criminal
- Bei2 go3 faan6-2 zau2 lat1 zo2 aa3! [Jyutping]
- The criminal ran loose!
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text