|to be able to read aloud fluently; to be suitable for reading aloud; to make smooth reading|
letter; symbol; character; word
|simp. and trad.
- Chinese characters which are pronounced in Peking opera according to traditional pronunciation conventions (which slightly differ from standard pronunciations)
- 上口字與相鄰的字連念感到彆扭時，可以不上口。 [MSC, trad.]
- From: 28 August 2017, 【唱念做打】关于京剧中的上口字, 
- Shàngkǒuzì yǔ xiānglín de zì lián niàn gǎn dào bièniu shí, kěyǐ bù shàngkǒu. [Pinyin]
- When the pronunciation of characters with a traditional operatic pronunciation and that of the adjacent characters cause awkwardness when read in sequence, it is not necessary to use the traditional pronunciation.
上口字与相邻的字连念感到别扭时，可以不上口。 [MSC, simp.]