Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *zlɯs): semantic 宀 (“roof”) + phonetic 子 (OC *ʔslɯʔ, “child”).
From Proto-Sino-Tibetan *tsa ~ za (“child; to give birth; to take care; to be kind”). Related to:
- 子 (OC *ʔslɯʔ, “child, son”) (also its phonetic component)
- 慈 (OC *zɯ, “to be kind, loving”)
- 滋 (OC *ʔsɯ, “to nourish, to grow”)
- 詞 (OC *ljɯ, “word, term”)
- 辭 (OC *ljɯ, “word, from testimony”)
Original sense (1): “to become pregnant, to give birth to, to nurture, to love” has essentially become obsolete. The sense (2) “letter, character” is either from a different root or a derivation from the sense “to produce, to generate”.
Cognate with Tibetan ཚ་བོ (tsha bo, “nephew”), Tibetan ཚ་རུས (tsha rus, “descendant”), Tibetan བཙའ (btsa', “to give birth to; to guard”), Tibetan མཛའ (mdza', “kind, peaceful, friendly”) (Quan, 1996).
- lī/jī - vernacular;
- chū/chīr/jū - literary.
- † to give birth to; to deliver a baby; to bring into the world
- † to be pregnant; to be carrying a baby
- † (historical, of a girl) to be betrothed; to be allowed to marry
- 待字閨中 / 待字闺中 ― dàizìguīzhōng ― to stay in the boudoir waiting to be betrothed
- † to bring up; to raise; to rear (a child)
- † to love; to cherish; to care very much for
- † to educate; to teach; to instruct
- † to govern; to administer
- Chinese character; hanzi (Classifier: 個／个; 隻／只 c)
- 這個字怎麼唸？ / 这个字怎么念？ ― Zhège zì zěnme niàn? ― How do you read this character?
- word; term; wording; diction
- 這字拼錯了。 / 这字拼错了。 ― Zhè zì pīn cuò le. ― This word is wrongly spelt; you've left out a letter.
- (computing) word
- handwriting; writing
- 他的字很差。 ― Tā de zì hěn chà. ― His handwriting is very bad.
- (historical) courtesy name; Chinese-style name (a name traditionally given to Chinese males at the age of 20)
- (historical) to style; to give someone a courtesy name
- letter; symbol; character
- 字母 ― zìmǔ ― letter
- 字串 ― zìchuàn ― character string
- (calligraphy) style of handwriting; printing type
- (calligraphy) (a calligrapher's) calligraphy work
- written letter; message; correspondence
- receipt; contract; slip
- pronunciation of a character; pronunciation
- (Cantonese, Min Nan, Malaysia, Singapore) five minutes (derived from the locations of 1 to 12 on a clock face) (Classifier: 個／个 m c)
- 三個字 / 三个字 [Cantonese] ― saam1 go3 zi6 [Jyutping] ― fifteen minutes [i.e. when the minute hand points to 3]
- 七點兩字 / 七点两字 [Min Nan] ― chhit tiám nn̄g jī [Pe̍h-ōe-jī] ― ten past seven
- A surname.
- Proto-Tai: *ɟɤ:ᴮ (“name”)
- Lao: ຊື່ (sư̄, “name”)
- Thai: ชื่อ (chʉ̂ʉ, “name”)
- Vietnamese: chữ (“script; letter; writing; word”)
字 (chữ, tự, tợ)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
- Thiều Chửu : Hán Việt Tự Điển, Hà Nội, 1942
- Trần Văn Chánh: Từ Điển Hán Việt NXB Trẻ, Ho Chi Minh Ville, 1999
- Vũ Văn Kính: Đại Tự Điển Chữ Nôm, NXB Văn Nghệ, Ho Chi Minh Ville, 1999