Ideogrammic compound (會意): 県 + 系 – to hang 系 by the head 県 (hair hanging down).
- An administrative subdivision of imperial, republican, and communist China, typically translated as "county" but now generally restricted to rural areas, contrasted with the urban "districts" (區)
- (in many cases but not always) The town which serves as the seat of government of such subdivisions, the "county seat"
- (first-level divisions): 省 (shěng), 市 (shì); 道 (dào) (historical)
- (second-level divisions): 區／区 (qū); 州 (zhōu), 市 (shì), 府 (fǔ), 郡 (jùn), 道 (dào) (historical)
縣 • (hyeon) (hangeul 현, McCune-Reischauer hyŏn, Yale hyen)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text