- 1 English
- 2 Dutch
- 3 French
- 4 Norwegian Bokmål
- 5 Norwegian Nynorsk
- 6 Portuguese
- 7 Serbo-Croatian
- 8 Spanish
bunker (plural bunkers)
- (military) A hardened shelter, often buried partly or fully underground, designed to protect the inhabitants from falling bombs or other attacks.
- (Britain) A large container or bin for storing coal, often built outside in the yard of a house. Now rare, as different types of fuels and energy sources are being used.
- (nautical) A container for storing coal or fuel oil for a ship's engine. [Also, by extension] the quantity of fuel needed to replenish that container.
- (rail transport) the coal compartment on a tank engine.
- (golf) A sand-filled hollow on a golf course.
- (paintball) An obstacle used to block an opposing player's view and field of fire.
- (Scotland) A sort of chest or box, as in a window, the lid of which serves for a seat.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Jamieson to this entry?)
- (Scotland, slang) A kitchen worktop.
- (Britain, slang) One who bunks off; a truant from school.
- Certain fish, menhaden.
large container for storing coal
container for storing coal or fuel oil for a ship's engine
truant — see truant
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- (nautical) To load a vessel with oil or coal for the engine.
- (golf) To hit a golf ball into a bunker.
- (paintball) To fire constantly at a hiding opponent, preventing them from firing at other players and trapping them behind the barrier. This can also refer to eliminating an opponent behind cover by rushing the position and firing at extremely close range as the player becomes exposed.
to hit a golfball into a bunker
- “bunker” in the Dictionary of the Scots Language, Edinburgh: Scottish Language Dictionaries.
- “bunker” in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press.
- bunker (low-lying fortification built into the landscape)
- Synonym: kazemat
- (golf) bunker (hole with a surface of sand or dirt, placed on a golf course as a barrier)
- bunker, cargo hold, storage room
bunker m (plural bunkers)
bunker m (plural bunkers)
- “bunker” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- bunkers (fuel oil, military bunker)
- “bunker” in The Bokmål Dictionary.
- bunkers (fuel oil, militsry bunker)
- “bunker” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.
bùnker m (Cyrillic spelling бу̀нкер)
Declension of bunker