- Used as a quotation mark in some languages.
- (in transliterated Cyrillic text) Transliteration of the soft sign (ь), indicating palatalization of preceding consonants.
- (in transliterated Arabic and Hebrew text) Transliteration of the glottal stop (hamza).
- A glottal stop in the orthography of numerous languages of America, Africa, and formerly the Pacific. In most Polynesian languages, the convention has shifted to the okina <ʻ>.
- (informal) A substitute for the diacritic ʼ used in the International Phonetic Alphabet for ejective and other glottalized consonants.
quotation marks - all matched-pairs
quotation marks and quotation dashes - all single characters