- In Chinese, the stroke at the bottom is written as a dot, ㇔.
- In Japanese and Korean, the stroke at the bottom is written as a line, ㇑.
舟 (Kangxi radical 137, 舟+0, 6 strokes, cangjie input 竹月卜戈 (HBYI), four-corner 27440, composition ⿱丿⿻⿵⺆⺀一)
- Kangxi radical #137, ⾈.
- Appendix:Chinese radical/舟
- 侜, 𪠾, 洀, 𣆔, 𣑮, 烐, 珘, 矪, 𥑸, 𥿦, 𦐩, 𧊓, 𡖫, 𧧔, 貈, 𧻖, 輈(辀), 𨱪, 𩗋, 𩢸(𩧳), 𩳉, 𠘒, 𩶣
- 𡬫, 郍, 𬅣, 𤭂, 𥎻, 䎇, 䚀(舰), 𠢧, 𣽨, 𣚗, 鵃(鸼), 𤳔, 𧑥, 𤃯, 䲍, 𪅻, 㭧, 盘, 𠄭, 𦭸, 歬, 𥥳, 𩂤, 𠣘
- KangXi: page 1008, character 24
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 30350
- Dae Jaweon: page 1466, character 6
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 5, page 3055, character 1
- Unihan data for U+821F
|simp. and trad.
|2nd round simp.||𠔾|
|Historical forms of the character 舟|
|Shang||Western Zhou||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
Characters in the same phonetic series (舟) (Zhengzhang, 2003)
Pictogram (象形) – a boat.
According to Schuessler (2007), a loan from Proto-Mon-Khmer *ɗuuk ~ *ɗuk (“boat, canoe”), whence Khmer ទូក (tuuk) and Vietnamese nốc (< Proto-Vietic *ɗoːk (“boat”)). Foreign closed syllables having a long main vowel often correspond to open syllables in Old Chinese.
Possibly cognate of 輈 (OC *tɯw, “trunk, pole”) (Schuessler, 2007).
Yang Xiong's Fangyan says that Old Chinese 舟 (OC *tjɯw) is common in central and eastern China, while its synonym 船 (OC *ɦljon) is used in western China.
- (literary) boat
- 同舟共濟／同舟共济 ― tóngzhōugòngjì ― to pull together in times of trouble (literally, “to cross a river in the same boat”)
- 二子乘舟，泛泛其景。 [Pre-Classical Chinese, trad. and simp.]
- From: The Classic of Poetry, c. 11th – 7th centuries BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Èr zǐ chéng zhōu, fàn fàn qí yǐng. [Pinyin]
- The two youths got into their boats,
Whose shadows floated about [on the water].
- (obsolete) to ride in a boat; to sail a boat
- a surname
Derived terms from 舟
- “舟”, in 漢語多功能字庫 (Multi-function Chinese Character Database), 香港中文大學 (the Chinese University of Hong Kong), 2014–
- Dictionary of Chinese Character Variants (教育部異體字字典), A03410
|Kanji in this term|
- 舟艇 (shūtei)
|Kanji in this term|
舟 • (ju) (hangeul 주, revised ju, McCune–Reischauer chu, Yale cwu)
舟: Hán Nôm readings: chu, châu
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text