From Middle English therfore, therfor, tharfore, thorfore, equivalent to there (pronomial adverb) + for. Compare Saterland Frisian deerfoar, Dutch daarvoor, German dafür, Danish and Norwegian derfor, Swedish därför.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈðɛəfɔː/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈðɛəɹfɔɹ/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (file)
- Hyphenation: there‧fore
- Homophone: therefor (second syllable stressed)
therefore (not comparable)
- (conjunctive) For that or this purpose, referring to something previously stated.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), imprinted at London: By Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, Luke 14:20:
- I have married a wife, and therefore I can not come.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), imprinted at London: By Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, Matthew 19:27:
- Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
- (conjunctive) Consequently, by or in consequence of that or this cause; referring to something previously stated.
- Traditional values will always have a place, therefore they will never lose relevance.
- (Can we date this quote?), Spectator
- He blushes; therefore he is guilty.
- (for that purpose): so, thus, to that end, to this end
- (consequently): hence, then, thus, accordingly, as a result, ∴ (math); See also Thesaurus:therefore
for that or this reason; for that
consequently; by consequence
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (about): hereabout, thereabout, whereabout
- (abouts): hereabouts, thereabouts, whereabouts
- (after): hereafter, thereafter, whereafter
- (again): thereagain
- (against): thereagainst, whereagainst
- (among): thereamong, whereamong
- (around): therearound
- (as): thereas, whereas
- (at): hereat, thereat, whereat
- (before): herebefore, therebefore
- (beside): therebeside
- (by): hereby, thereby, whereby
- (fore): herefore, therefore, wherefore
- (from): herefrom, therefrom, wherefrom
- (in): herein, therein, wherein
- (in after): hereinafter, thereinafter, whereinafter
- (in before): hereinbefore, thereinbefore, whereinbefore
- (into): hereinto, thereinto, whereinto
- (of): hereof, thereof, whereof
- (on): hereon, thereon, whereon
- (to): hereto, thereto, whereto
- (tofore): heretofore, theretofore, wheretofore
- (under): hereunder, thereunder, whereunder
- (unto): hereunto, thereunto, whereunto
- (upon): hereupon, thereupon, whereupon
- (with): herewith, therewith, wherewith
- (withal): herewithal, therewithal, wherewithal