See also: 谈何容易
- to speak; to talk; to converseto speak; to talk; to converse; to chat; to discuss; surname
rhetorical construct signifying emphasis in the negative; not tolerated; unacceptable easy; simple trad. (談何容易) 談 何容 易 simp. (谈何容易) 谈 何容 易
- (chiefly obsolete) it is no easy matter to give good advice (especially to one's superior); to speak is difficult
- 先生曰：「於戲，可乎哉？可乎哉？談何容易！」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Book of Han, circa 1st century CE
- Xiānshēng yuē: “Wūhū, kě hū zāi? Kě hū zāi? Tán héróng yì!” [Pinyin]
- "Alas! May I? I may not! Speeches to one's superior — those easily given will never be accepted!" said Mister Nobody.
先生曰：“於戏，可乎哉？可乎哉？谈何容易！” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- 賈生有言：「懇言則辭淺而不入，深言則逆耳而失指。」故曰：「談何容易。」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: p. 73 B.C.E., Huan Kuan (桓寬) (editor). Discourses on Salt and Iron (《鹽鐵論》).
- Gǔshēng yǒu yán: “Kěnyán zé cíqiǎn ér bùrù, shēnyán zé nì'ěr ér shīzhǐ.” Gù yuē: “Tán héróng yì.” [Pinyin]
- Jia Yi said: "Cordial speech tends to be superficial and fails to make an impact, but a penetrating comment grates on the ear and fails to deliver." Hence the saying, "no place for speech made at ease."
贾生有言：“恳言则辞浅而不入，深言则逆耳而失指。”故曰：“谈何容易。” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- to speak; to talk; to converseto speak; to talk; to converse; to chat; to discuss; surnamecarry; what; howcarry; what; how; why; which
trad. (談何容易) 談 何 容易 simp. (谈何容易) 谈 何 容易 Rebracketing of Etymology 1.