good fortune; happiness; luck; Fujian province (abbrev); a surname
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): hang6 fuk1
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): hen-fuk
- Min Dong (BUC): hâing-hók
- Min Nan (POJ): hěng-hok / hēng-hok
- Wu (Wiktionary): hhin foq (T3)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou)
- (Hokkien: mainstream Taiwanese, Xiamen, Zhangzhou)
Middle Chinese: /ɦˠɛŋX pɨuk̚/
- (of one's life, circumstances, etc.) blessed and satisfactory; consummate; joyful; (of a person) living a blessed and contented life
The meaning of this word is difficult to render accurately in English. It is typically glossed as “happy; happiness” in dictionaries, however, a sharp distinction between 幸福 and some of the other words for “happy” is made in Chinese.
Xingfu typically refers to a state of long-term happiness with one's life, and implies having a loving family, spouse, or a sense of general well-being. This is in contrast to words such as 開心／开心 (kāixīn) and 快樂／快乐 (kuàilè), which refer to a state of fleeting happiness, or a relatively short elevation in mood that comes with certain news, event, activity, etc.
- sense of contentment stemming from having a blessed and fulfilled life; blissful life or living circumstances; happiness
|Kanji in this term|
- 幸福感 (kōfukukan): feeling of happiness