- KangXi: page 850, character 6
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 24940
- Dae Jaweon: page 1273, character 2
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 4, page 2595, character 5
- Unihan data for U+79CB
|simp. and trad.
Unclear. Schuessler (2007) minimally reconstructed OC *tshiu < Proto-Chinese *C-nh(i)u and proposed its cognacy to either:
- 收 () "to reap, harvest, gather"; or *(n)hiu
- 卒 () "to finish, end, die", as vegetation dies in autumn; additionally in *tsutZuozhuan, this word's referent was winter's dead vegetation.
|Historical forms of the character 秋|
|Shang||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Bronze inscriptions||Oracle bone script||Chu Slip and silk script||Qin slip script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
The oracle bone forms and bronze inscriptions show the pictogram (象形) of a cricket or a locust, sometimes with a fire 火 glyph underneath. In its later form, became a Phono-semantic compound (形聲, *sʰɯw): semantic 禾 (“rice”) + abbreviated phonetic 𤒅. Often thought of as an Ideogrammic compound (會意): 禾 (“grain”) + 火 (“fire”); after harvesting the grain, the fields are burned to kill locusts and their eggs.
|Seasons in Chinese · 四季 (sìjì, “four seasons”) (layout · text)|
|春 (chūn, “spring”)||夏 (xià, “summer”)||秋 (qiū, “fall; autumn”)||冬 (dōng, “winter”)|
|For pronunciation and definitions of 秋 – see 鞦.|
(This character, 秋, is the simplified form of 鞦.)
- Go-on: しゅ (shu)←しゆ (syu, historical)
- Kan-on: しゅう (shū, Jōyō)←しう (siu, historical)
- Kun: あき (aki, 秋, Jōyō); とき (toki, 秋)
|Kanji in this term|
⟨aki1⟩ → */akʲi/ → /aki/
From Old Japanese.
Likely cognate with 明き (aki, “bright”), 赤 (aka, “red”), 飽きる (akiru, “to become full up”, possibly in reference to the harvest), 空く (aku, “to become empty”), 開く (aku, “to open up”). However, the exact relationship of these terms remains unclear.
- 秋山 (akiyama): a mountain in autumn
|Seasons in Japanese · 四季 (shiki, “four seasons”) (layout · text)|
|春 (haru, “spring”),
春季 (shunki, “spring”).
春期 (shunki, “spring period”)
|夏 (natsu, “summer”),
夏季 (kaki, “summer”),
夏期 (kaki, “summer period”)
|秋 (aki, “fall; autumn”),
秋季 (shūki, “fall; autumn”),
秋期 (shūki, “fall period”)
|冬 (fuyu, “winter”), |
冬季 (tōki, “winter”),
冬期 (tōki, “winter period”)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text