See also: Poppy
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɒpi/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɑpi/
- Hyphenation: pop‧py
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒpi
poppy (plural poppies)
- Any plant of the genus Papaver, with crumpled often red petals and a milky juice.
- A bright red colour, tinted with orange, like that of the poppy flower.
- poppy colour:
- (chiefly Britain, Canada) A simple artificial poppy worn in the buttonhole to remember the fallen in the two World Wars, especially around Remembrance Sunday.
- 2011 November 10, Jeremy Wilson, “England Under 21 5 Iceland Under 21 0: match report”, in Telegraph:
- With such focus from within the footballing community this week on Remembrance Sunday, there was something appropriate about Colchester being the venue for last night’s game. Troops from the garrison town formed a guard of honour for both sets of players, who emerged for the national anthem with poppies proudly stitched into their tracksuit jackets.
- California poppy (Eschscholzia californica)
- celandine poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum)
- common poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
- corn poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
- field poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
- Flanders poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
- Iceland poppy (Papaver nudicaule)
- opium poppy (Papaver somniferum)
- Poppy Day
- poppy red
- poppyseed, poppy seed
- prickly poppy (Argemone mexicana)
- tall poppy
- tall poppy syndrome
- matilija poppy (Romneya)
- Oriental poppy (Papaver orientale)
- Shirley Poppy
- Welsh poppy (Meconopsis cambrica)
- (reds) red; blood red, brick red, burgundy, cardinal, carmine, carnation, cerise, cherry, cherry red, Chinese red, cinnabar, claret, crimson, damask, fire brick, fire engine red, flame, flamingo, fuchsia, garnet, geranium, gules, hot pink, incarnadine, Indian red, magenta, maroon, misty rose, nacarat, oxblood, pillar-box red, pink, Pompeian red, poppy, raspberry, red violet, rose, rouge, ruby, ruddy, salmon, sanguine, scarlet, shocking pink, stammel, strawberry, Turkey red, Venetian red, vermillion, vinaceous, vinous, violet red, wine (Category: en:Reds)
- Of a bright red color, tinted with orange, like that of the poppy flower.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked: "color"
poppy (plural poppies)