- 倪, 唲, 堄, 婗, 掜, 淣, 猊, 𨺙, 晲, 腉, 棿, 睨, 䍲, 䋩, 聣, 蜺, 䘽, 觬, 誽, 貎, 輗(𫐐), 䮘, 鯢(鲵), 鶃, 齯(𫠜), 𡮅, 郳, 㪒, 鶂(𬷼), 𠓔, 萖, 𮅙, 䦧(阋), 𠒯, 霓, 鬩, 麑
- KangXi: page 125, character 3
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 1365
- Dae Jaweon: page 265, character 6
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 1, page 272, character 5
- Unihan data for U+5152
|Historical forms of the character 兒|
|Shang||Western Zhou||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Chu slip and silk script||Qin slip script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
According to Schuessler (2007), it may be an area word; compare Proto-Mon-Khmer *ŋa(i)k (“baby”), Proto-Bahnaric *ŋaː (“baby”), Khmer ង៉ា (ngaa, “infant; baby”). The word is also cognate with 倪 (, “small and weak”). *ŋeː伢 is the southern dialectal form of 兒 (, “child; son”). ȵiᴇ
- (now in compounds) child
- one's own child; son
- (now in compounds) (male) adolescent
- (attributive, of animals) male
- Non-syllabic noun diminutive suffix.
- Suffix after nouns that does not indicate diminutiveness.
- Suffix added to some verbs or adjectives to form nouns.
- Suffix after a limited number of verbs.
- Suffix after certain nouns that result in a different meaning from the unsuffixed form.
- Suffix after reduplicated adjectives.
- 儿 may be used to specially write erhua (or the rhotic sound) in traditional Chinese, in contrast with 兒／儿 (ér, “child”).
- 有人把拉丁化新文字的方案跟寫法看做神聖不可侵犯的東西，不准有一點儿改變 […]
- There are some who believe that the Latinxua Sin Wenz scheme and spelling are sacred things that should not be violated, and that there must not be even the tiniest bit of change […]
- r念“儿”只有“兒”“二”“而”這幾個字 […]
- When r is read as 儿, the only candidates are "child", "two", and "and" […]
- 儿 may be written as a smaller character.
- Admittedly, when pronouncing a word, the stressed syllable is, musically speaking, also a bit higher-pitched, but this is not necessarily always the case.
- 2001, 中華人民共和國教育部, 國家語言文字工作委員會, 第一批異形詞整理表 [The First Series of Standardized Forms of Words with Non-standardized Variant Forms], page 11:
- 红果儿（红*菓儿） hóngguǒr
|simp. and trad.
- a surname
- Alternative form of 齯／𫠜 (ní, “teeth grown in old age”).
- Alternative form of 倪 (ní, “small and weak”).
- Alternative form of 郳 (Ní).
- “兒”, in 漢語多功能字庫 (Multi-function Chinese Character Database), 香港中文大學 (the Chinese University of Hong Kong), 2014–
- Kyūjitai form of
- Used in personal names.
|Dongguk Jeongun Reading|
|Dongguk Jeongun, 1448||Recorded as Middle Korean ᅀᅵᆼ (Yale: zì?) in Dongguk Jeongun (東國正韻 / 동국정운), 1448.|
|Hunmong Jahoe, 1527||아ᄒᆡ ᅀᆞ||Recorded as Middle Korean ᅀᆞ (zo) (Yale: zò) in Hunmong Jahoe (訓蒙字會 / 훈몽자회), 1527.|
|Gwangju Cheonjamun, 1575||아ᄒᆡ ᄋᆞ||Recorded as Middle Korean ᄋᆞ (o) (Yale: o) in Gwangju Cheonjamun (光州千字文 / 광주천자문), 1575.|
|Dongguk Jeongun Reading|
|Dongguk Jeongun, 1448||Recorded as Middle Korean 옝 (Yale: yey?) in Dongguk Jeongun (東國正韻 / 동국정운), 1448.|
- 국제퇴계학회 대구경북지부 (國際退溪學會 大邱慶北支部) (2007). Digital Hanja Dictionary, 전자사전／電子字典. 
- Supreme Court of the Republic of Korea (대한민국 대법원, Daehanmin'guk Daebeobwon) (2018). Table of hanja for personal names (인명용 한자표 / 人名用漢字表, Inmyeong-yong hanja-pyo), page 30.