In current form, 竹 (“bamboo”) + 目 + 廾.
The 目 portion may have originally represented counting rods (or possibly an abacus, although the character is believed to predate its invention). Such rods were typically made from bamboo.
It has been compared with Tibetan གཤོར (gshor, “to count, to measure, to weigh”) by Gong (1995). The Old Chinese coda was *-r, as preserved in Japanese 算盤 (soroban, “abacus”).
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Xiamen, Quanzhou, Lukang, Sanxia, Taipei, Tainan, Kaohsiung, Kinmen, Magong, Hsinchu, Taichung)
- (Hokkien: Zhangzhou, Yilan)
- (Hokkien: Xiamen, Quanzhou, Zhangzhou, mainstream Taiwanese)
- sǹg/sùiⁿ - colloquial;
- soàn - literary.
- to count; to calculate; to figure
- to plan; to arrange; to design
- to guess; to estimate; to approximate
- to regard as; to consider
- to count; to be of significance
- to let it pass; to give up
- finally; eventually