Phono-semantic compound (形聲): semantic 宀 (“roof”) + phonetic 豕 (“pig”). 豕 is an abbreviation of 豭 (jiā, "male pig, boar") (Shuowen Jiezi), a homophone of 家 in Old Chinese (both *kˁra in the Baxter-Sagart system, 2011). 豭 is further composed of the phonetic part 叚 (jiǎ < OC *kˁraʔ, "to borrow") and the semantic part 豕 ("pig").
- house, home, residence
- (as a suffix): professional, expert, performer
- (as a suffix): a school of thought (儒家, 道家, 法家)
- KangXi: page 286, character 17
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 7169
- Dae Jaweon: page 566, character 3
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 930, character 15
- Unihan data for U+5BB6
家 (Yale ga1)
/ihe1/: [ipe] > [iɸe] > [iwe] > [ie]. Possibly related to io.
Cognate with uchi.
- a house
- one's house
- a suffix representing relationship to a family
- the Taira family
A contraction of uchi > chi. Often following the genitive case marker no which contracts to n.
orenchi ni konai?
- Wanna come to my place?
- house of something, place where some business is conducted
- person who does that thing
家 (traditional and simplified, Pinyin jiā)