merit; achievement; result; service; accomplishment
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): gung1 fu1
- Hakka (Pha̍k-fa-sṳ): kûng-fû
- Min Nan (POJ): kang-hu
- Wu (WT Romanisation): kon vu (T1); kon fu (T1)
- Min Nan
- time (to do something); synonym for 工夫
- efforts (devoted to a task)
- accomplishments, achievement
- skill; art; workmanship (especially Chinese martial arts)
- kung fu (Chinese Martial art)
- Originaly, kung fu was refering to any skill learned through great effort. But it have been used by the Occident to refer to Chinese martial art, called 武術／武术 (wǔshù) in Chinese. It is used by Chinese to refer to martial arts only since the late twentieth century.
- HSK汉语水平考试词典, ISBN 7561720785
- 2012, Peter Lorge, Chinese Martial Arts From Antiquity to the Twenty-First Century, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0521878814: