middle; center; within; among; in; while (doing sth); during; China; Chinese; hit (the mark)
|country; state; nation|
|Literally: “middle kingdom; central country”.|
This word referred to various states and regions throughout history:
- Western Zhou Dynasty [1046–771 BCE]:
- the region controlled by the Western Zhou Dynasty, covering the Guanzhong Plain in Shaanxi, as well as the basin between the Yellow River and the Luo River.
- Eastern Zhou Dynasty [770–221 BCE]:
- all of the upper reaches of the Yellow River.
- Since Qin Dynasty [221 BCE–1911 CE]:
- the land controlled by the imperial regime of the Central Plain - i.e. the ancestors of modern China.
- After the Xinhai Revolution [1911 CE]:
- After the founding of the People's Republic of China [1949 CE]:
- Gan (Wiktionary): zung1 guet6
- Jin (Wiktionary): zung1 gueh4
- Min Dong (BUC): Dṳ̆ng-guók
- Min Nan
- Wu (Wiktionary): tson koq (T1)
- Xiang (Wiktionary): zhong1 gue6
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- China; the Middle Kingdom
- 中國的首都是北京。 [MSC, trad.]
- 中国的首都是北京。 [MSC, simp.]
- Zhōngguó de shǒudū shì Běijīng. [Pinyin]
- The capital of China is Beijing.
- 中國和平崛起 / 中国和平崛起 ― zhōngguó hépíngjuéqǐ ― China's peaceful rise
- (archaic) imperial court
- (archaic) capital of a state
- (archaic) region under direct rule of the emperor
- (archaic) Central Plain
|Kanji in this term|
|こく > ごく